Foot pain is one of the most disruptive and debilitating conditions a person can experience. Dominique Nickson, MD is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon and foot pain specialist. He offers
accurate diagnosis and effective treatment to patients struggling with foot pain in McKinney, Texas and surrounding areas including Frisco, Allen, Plano and Prosper, Texas. To make an appointment with Dr. Nickson, patients should call Next Step Orthopedics.
What causes foot pain?
The foot is composed of bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments. When any of these components become injured or inflamed, it can lead to foot pain. Some of the most common causes of foot pain include:
- Hammer toe – Hammer toe is a deformity of the 3 toes in the middle of the foot.
- Flat feet – Flat feet occurs when a patient has little to no arch in the foot.
- Diabetic foot problems – Over time, diabetes can lead to neuropathy in the feet and/or ulcers, both of which can be painful for the patient.
- Bunions – A bunion is a large protrusion that usually appears on the big toe, causing discomfort for the patient.
- Hallux varus – Hallux varus is a condition that causes the big toe to curve away from the rest of the foot.
- Hallux rigidus – Hallux rigidus occurs when the big toe becomes stiff because of arthritis.
- Foot fracture – Foot fracture occurs when a bone in the foot breaks.
In some cases, patients may also experience foot pain because of a problem with the ankle or heel, such as arthritis or a fracture.
How does Dr. Nickson diagnose foot pain?
Dr. Nickson understands that foot pain can have a variety of different causes. When a patient comes in complaining of foot pain, Dr. Nickson begins by examining the patient’s foot, heel, and ankle carefully. He will also ask questions about the patient’s medical history and symptoms so that he can determine the cause of the pain. In some cases, Dr. Nickson will order tests to visualize the tissues inside the foot so that he can confirm a specific diagnosis or rule out other possibilities.
How does Dr. Nickson treat foot pain?
Dr. Nickson will develop a treatment plan for foot pain based on the cause of the pain, the severity of the underlying condition, and the patient’s preferences. Depending on the specifics, some of the treatment options for foot pain may include:
Dr. Nickson offers minimally-invasive surgery to patients with foot pain. This option can effectively correct the issue with less pain and downtime. Patients with foot pain should discuss all of their treatment options with Dr. Nickson before making a decision.